BioEnergy Bytes

Joanna Schroeder

  • BioEnergyBytesDFMembers of Iowa’s biodiesel industry hosted Congressman Bruce Braley (IA-01) at the REG Mason City biodiesel plant. The plant is one of 12 in the state hanging in the balance as they await the Obama Administration’s final Renewable Fuel Standard volumes for 2014. The current RFS proposal would set biodiesel volumes at 1.28 billion gallons, a sharp cut from last year’s actual production of nearly 1.8 billion gallons. REG bought the 30-million gallon per year nameplate capacity facility in 2013, and began a $20 million upgrade of the plant shortly after restarting it.
  • Growth Energy has welcomed Vireol Bio Energy LLC as its newest member, bringing total plant membership to 84, with another 85 associate members. Vireol Bio Energy is based in Hopewell, Va.
  • Microgrids are among the most promising tools of modern distribution networks due to their versatility. In North American Microgrids 2014, GTM Research describes the North American microgrid market including a forecast through 2017 and competitive positioning of key vendors, as well as market drivers and barriers that shape the current and emerging microgrid landscape.
  • Pattern Energy Group has announced the acquisition of AEI’s 38.5% net ownership interest in the El Arrayan Wind project. The project, which was completed earlier this month and is now fully operational, is located approximately 400 km north of Santiago on the coast of Chile. At 115 megawatts (MW), El Arrayan Wind is the largest wind power facility in Chile and all of South America. The transaction increases Pattern Energy’s ownership in El Arrayan Wind to 70% with Antofagasta Minerals SA owning the remaining 30% minority stake.
Bioenergy Bytes