Fuels America recently hosted a briefing on the Hill (Washington, D.C.) to give an update on the so-called “blend wall.” Energy experts and biofuel industry representatives discussed the need to provide consumer choice at the pump. Other topics discussed during the event included: benefits of renewable fuel; penetration of new fuels like E15 and cellulosic ethanol into the marketplace; compliance flexibility; and Renewable Identification Numbers (RINs).
Panelists for the event included:
- Tom Buis, CEO, Growth Energy
- Dr. Andy Randolph, Engine Technical Director, Richard Childress Racing
- Brent Erickson, Executive Vice President, Industrial and Environmental Section Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO)
- Bruce Vollan, Midway Service, Inc.
- Bob Casper, President, POET Ethanol Products
Tom Buis kicked off the briefing and noted the timing of the event happened to coincide with a spike in oil prices – now higher than $100 per barrel for domestic oil. He said that the oil companies are touting all the oil – new oil finds, oil from shale (i.e. fracking) oil drilled from oceans, and arguing that the Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) is not needed. “Well I think this morning’s headlines is just another good example of yes we do. Yes, we need a competitive, alternative to fossil-based fuel.”
You can listen to the Hill briefing, “Surmountable Blend Wall” here: Surmountable Blend Wall